"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying- This is the way, walk in it!" Isa.30:21

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Charles

I was in Uganda 6 years ago for the first time with a team from Oregon.  It was such a great time and we met many new friends and ministry partners.  One of the special people we met was our interpreter, Charles Okiror.  He was a 19 year young man and we all enjoyed him and knew God had a great future for him.


But prior to that, Charles and Jeff had worked together. Here he is interpreting for Jeff in 2004!

Since then, Charles and I have been keeping in contact.  We email quite often and he keeps me updated on what is happening in his life.  He left his home town and came down to the capital in Kampala.  He is in seminary and is hoping to go back home to Soroti and become a pastor of his  church.  He was very excited when he learned that we were coming back to his country and that we were adopting an orphan.

He has told me that he looks to me as a mom because his mom died a few years ago and he does not have a father.  He calls me "Mama Erin".  I asked him one time why he called me that and he said any woman who is married to a godly man deserves such respect with the title Mama.  I told him that I would accept that anytime! 

We called him a few days ago to find a time to meet up. He was so excited when we chatted on the phone, he said that hearing my voice made his "heart smile" : )  So, after a busy day, Charles took a taxi across town last night to visit with Jeff and I and to meet the kids.

Jeff met him down on the main road and they walked to one of the only restaurants close to the orphanage. They grabbed some dinner for our family (they were told they would have to wait 20 minutes but it took over 90 minutes).  But that gave Jeff, Ranger and Charles plenty of time to catch up.

Eventually, I heard them open the creaky gate to the compound and ran downstairs to meet him.  I came around the corner and he ran to me and grabbed me into a huge bear hug.  There was dim lighting in the hallway so I couldn't see very well and he is very dark but... I could see his bright white smile as we met.

He came ate dinner with us and shared some of the things going on in his life with us.  Life is hard here in Uganda.  He is going to seminary and so when he gets a break he goes back home (8-9 hour bus ride) to see his younger sisters and to help take care of them.  So much burden on a young man to care for his family while trying to get good grades and finish his last year and a half of school.   He loves the Lord so much and he continues to walk faithfully and trust His plan for his life!

I hope one day you will all have the chance to meet him!

No comments:

Post a Comment