"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying- This is the way, walk in it!" Isa.30:21

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

We arrived in Uganda safe and sound!

Our last flight from Dubai to Entebbe was 5 hours…that's nothing after 14 hours on a plane and then 12 hours sitting in an airport!  The time went by quickly which I am so thankful for.  The anticipation to meet our sweet boy was so real!  I watched a movie on the flight and later Jeff asked which movie I watched, i could not remember for the life of me.  My mind was on Drew the whole time!
We landed and felt the heat and humidity right away…it felt good to not be cold for once in the past 4 months!  I love Portland but this heat feels so good on my old weary bones:)

Once inside the terminal, the smell of Uganda overcame my senses!

I told Andie how much I love the people, the culture and the beautiful scenery.  It has been 5 years since I have been here and it feels so familiar to me and gives me a sense of being home.

It took us an hour to get our visa, grab our luggage and then go change in the bathroom.  We REALLY needed to freshen up and change our clothes after 2 days of traveling.  We thought we would be able to shower in the Dubai airport but that didn't work out.  So stinky and tired we rolled into Uganda.

We made it through the front doors and into a sea of Ugandans all looking at us waving signs or calling out.  Jeff and I had our eyes open looking to and fro for a sign from our babies home with our name on it.  We wandered out the door and Jeff found the Director of our Babies home. 

We pushed our carts with 10 checked bags and 6 carry on bags to our van (we did not travel light),  Thankfully, ALOT of this stuff we will leave here.

Then we were off!  We had an hour drive through Entebbe and into Kampala.  The kids tried so hard to stay awake and enjoy the scenery and the Ugandan way of life but before long they had all passed out.  Meanwhile, Jeff and I got to ask lots of questions about our babies home and of course, gather any and all information about Drew that we could.

Before long, we turned onto a road with a big sign with our babies home on it!  I couldn't believe it was here…AFTER TWO LONG YEARS!  The time was

So many thoughts running through my mind…
Will he be shy or afraid of us?
Will he cry and not want us to hold him?
How will I respond to him?
How will the kids react?

I could go on and on.

We turned into the driveway and I didn't care HOW it went or if we had the camera ready or if we got it on video…it didn't matter.  I just wanted to see my son!

No comments:

Post a Comment